Monday 28 November 2016

My Life Through Music

My first experience's of music were largely what my parents and grandparents listened to in the car taking me, and also some of my mum's friends who would look after me whilst she was studying. My very first memory of music would be Michael Jackson's Thriller, as my Nan had the 13 minute long music video on a DVD, and I would watch it on repeat for hours. Aside from that my main music influence would come from Disney Film's such as The Jungle Book and Lion King with particular preference towards, 'The Bare Necessities' and 'I Just Can't Wait To Be King'.

When I went to primary school, my affiliation with musicals was still strong as I was introduced to films such as Grease (which again I would watch on repeat). However I was exposed to more 'pop' music but mainly aimed at children my age such as 'The Fast Food Song' and 'the Macerena' which I was mainly exposed to at discos and children's parties. During the end of primary school I started listening to the songs that my brother was listening to, such as Green Day and Bowling for Soup, as I would borrow his Walkman however I was too young to download songs for myself so would just listen to whatever he put on.


During High School my music taste was significantly less exciting, listening to songs in the charts
such as Beautiful People by Chris Brown and Runaway Baby by Bruno Mars. During this period also I went to the West End a lot so my relationship with musicals furthered, particularly with shows such as Chicago, Wicked and Matilda.


I don't particularly like music these days, I find a lot of the songs sound the same, or lack actual lyrics. The songs i mainly listen to now are throwbacks to the 90's and 00's including my favourite song 'American Boy' by Estelle ft Kanye West, however I do like some newer Beyonce songs such as 'Sorry' and 'Daddy Lesson's.



1 comment:

  1. Darcey, this is really good, it allows the reader to understand your relationship with music through your life. Would have been even better if you added what formats you listened to this music on at every stage. Can you add this to this post?

    ReplyDelete